Tuesday, September 9, 2014

OUTFIT | California girl in Tokyo


(skirt: Harajukuii; top: Topshop (similar here); clutch: Dezso by Sara Beltran (similar here);
shirt: Gap (similar here); beanie: (similar here); shoes: Vans)


Photos by Lisa from Paint with Stars




I am seriously a hapa through and through. Maybe that doesn't make sense, since the true meaning of "hapa" is "being partially of East Asian, South East Asian, or Pacific Islander descent." Even though I've met different kinds of hapas, I still think half or part-Japanese mixes are the most common. So what I really meant was, I am seriously half-Japanese through and through. I've lived and grew up in Southern California in a bicultural household, and now I live in Tokyo, experiencing the Japanese way of life. I am literally split down the middle, in terms of how I think, how I speak, how I behave, and how I dress. As Lisa and I were walking around Ginza on a busy Sunday evening to take these photos, I realized, wow, I look totally out of place here, but the juxtaposition of California surfer girl style meets Tokyo city night life is so... hapa. And that is something totally unique, if I do say so myself. 


The reason why I styled this particular outfit was to be able to sneak in one more summer outfit in with this sweat skirt that Harajukuii so kindly sent me. Harajukuii is an affordable, cute, fashion-forward Japanese online clothing store, and I was immediately drawn to this brand. This skirt is the most comfortable thing ever, and is the perfect length- not too short or too long. Then I just added the most casual pieces I could find in my closet. And boom, you got yourself a Cali-Tokyo girl.


I'm glad I got to squeeze in one more beachy, California-reminiscent outfit before it really cools down. What are your opinions on this sweat skirt? Yay or nay? Be honest ;) Let me know in the comments!



Love,

Samantha Mariko



32 comments:

  1. Great look!

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to the skirt! Great outfit, the pictures are amazing! :)

    www.nevernotinspired.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this look !!
    You rock it, my friend.
    xx's

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cool outfit girl
    you look great
    love the shirt

    e d i o t
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit! And these pictures are amazing! I am not not half anything but Korean American and I came to the US when I was 7 years old. So I felt like I had my feet in two worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have a very cool urban style. You're the mix of two things, and the result is awesome. I really like that skirt and love the top! I and my mom (who was looking at the post too) really like this outfit :)
    Obsessed Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great outfit.

    Lots of love.
    www.NataliaBosch.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so gorgeous!! So jealous that you live in Tokyo. My boyfriend and I are planning on going to Tokyo at the end of the month (hopefully) and seeing this makes me really excited!

    I live in Hawai'i (but I grew up in LA until I moved to Hawai'i December 2013) and one of the local words I learned was "hapa". It's used a lot here since there's a lot of hapas (and a lot of my friends are hapas). Hapas are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so cool!
    xx
    http://shititsmidnight.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice outfit, and the pics are spectacular

    itsjustshalay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's so amazing to grow up with mixed cultures, it's such a great opportunity for personal growth. :) Love the Californian fashion style, it's nice to see you rocking it in Japan. I've always been a huge fan of sporty-urban look. :)

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xx
    BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see both worlds in your style and you Sam. That's what makes you so unique. Love your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look cool in this outfit! Love the combination of outfit and sneaker! Kireiina :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the sweat skirt and this entire outfit, but isn't sweatshirt material hot? If it's as hot in Japan as I think it is, I'd save the skirt for the fall, though you wouldn't be able to wear that cute top with it. I have a similar crop top and I love the way it flares out and looks so DIY haha.

    I kind of feel the exact same way. As someone who was born and grew up in California who moved to Hong Kong, I am so torn sometimes and I don't really feel like I fit in either place. I'm full Chinese, but man the culture is so different here and I constantly feel like I stick out because of the way I dress and the way I carry myself. Maybe in the future I'll embrace it but right now it feels like a bit of a bad thing. Trying my best to keep those negative feelings at bay.

    ManeUntame

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great look, love the tied up shirt, it looks amazing with crop top and cap. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
  16. you look so stylish! :)

    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
  17. this look is super stylish! love your style, its so inspiring! thank you for sharing <3
    keep blogging! :)

    www.cinwilsoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. AMAZING look! Really I love this combo. Looks so great on you! :)

    Love,
    thefashionnerd.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! Love the clutch! Actually that's what I wanted!
    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous!!! Love this edgy casual look...like you just stepped off a catalog babe! That beanie is the perfect topper, so haute!
    Thank you for the blog visit sweets, hope to see you back soon!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving the Tokyo streetlife in the background! gorgeous look too, love the urban grunge vibe! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it your style is so pretty and great!
    I love it the the photographs!
    Every time I visit your blog is like reading a magazine even better!
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the laid back street vibe of this look. It's so awesome to experience two different cultures in a lifetime <3 you're so lucky

    http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this look! its one of my favs from you <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look marvelous! and I know what it`s like to live in a bilingual and bicultural household, it`s my world to be somewhere in the middle not isolated in anyway, I just really enjoy it. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. So simple, yet chic look. love the hat too.


    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look good girl! I don't think I could ever pull this off. Love it.

    Raven.

    simplesassysultry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I read each and every one!